Monday, June 21, 2010

Grecian Holiday – Part IX – Mytilini, Lesvos, Greece – May 30, 2010

Since we are on a back to back, we are revisiting all of the same ports, plus one additional one. Since that is our agenda, I will not comment about the islands unless the comments are relevant to what we did during the day. Due to the long distance between Istanbul and Mytilini we did not arrive until around noon.

We were up early as usual and enjoyed the sites as we sailed between Lesvos and the Turkish mainland. The seas were calm and it was nice to watch the fishing vessels at work. It was an incredibly beautiful day to sail. We did not dock today, because a large ferry was in our spot. The bad part about that is that we had a tender ride, though I have to admit the tender rides are much smoother than in the Caribbean. The good point is that we had swimming off the aft again, including use of the water toys. (I have to say the water is downright cold!)

IMG_3544 IMG_3547 IMG_3550 IMG_3554 IMG_3556 IMG_3561 IMG_3569

FT and I headed to shore for lunch. It is Sunday so not a lot of the ships that were so nice on Friday are open but we did find a nice café after walking around the harbor. I had a piece of pistachio that was bigger than my hand, huge! FT had grilled squid stuffed with Feta. We each had a huge salad, and some wonderful bread. Leftovers were quietly slipped to a stray cat, and the bread went into the harbor where it was quickly devoured by some hungry fish. Here is what FT had to say about the bread: “Accompanied by at least six pieces of grilled bread brushed with garlic oil and herbs. We watched the bus boy clearing a table next to us – he threw the uneaten bread in the water and massive fish swarmed around it. So we did the same – great entertainment!”

IMG_3585 IMG_3583 IMG_3587 IMG_3589 IMG_3590

After lunch we came back to the ship where I caught up on some work, and read while FT decided to use the kayak. Since she tells this story better than I do I will again quote her description of her adventure.

“I decided to come back to the yacht and use the kayak since the seas were so calm. And not a single soul was using the water toys – didn’t want the SD crew to be totally bored. I was doing quite well when I looked up and saw this small outboard on a path that looked like it would intersect with me – so I headed back toward SD. The outboard then gets close enough that I can see 4 males. The outboard seems to takes a turn that puts it on a direct collision course with me - I am not a great kayaker (to say the least – I move backwards better than forward) and I’m getting nervous – but no fear, a crew member in the Zodiac has been watching the outboard approach. He deliberately moves the Zodiac in between me and the outboard, creating a wake so that the outboard has to slow down. I manage to paddle a bit closer to SD and the outboard turns away and goes on to the freighter anchored farther out. I’m sure I was never in any danger – but that was enough drama for my day, so I headed in.”

The last tender was at 6:30, and we sailed at 7:00. Cocktails tonight were in the Main salon since it was the Captain’s Welcome Aboard reception.

IMG_3593 IMG_3598 IMG_3601 IMG_3603

We somehow did not get home with a dinner menu from tonight so I am again going to leave what FT posted as my scant menu for the evening. Escargot and steak tartar were appetizers. There is a salad course topped with grilled calamari. Lobster repeats as an entree. Soup includes corn chowder and the mushroom velout with truffle oil and the Chef advised me that the chocolate dessert is on the menu.

After dinner we headed back to the cabin as we had an early excursion tomorrow in Kusadasi. Our gift from Sea Dream tonight was a rose in a vase and one on the bed. Today and this evening we enjoyed another wonderfully smooth sail to our next port of call Kusadasi, Turkey, a distance of 134 nautical miles.

More pictures are available on my flickr page by clicking HERE

The author of this blog is not compensated by Sea Dream Yacht Club in any manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment