Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grecian Holiday – Part VII – Mytilini, Lesvos, Greece – May 28, 2010

This morning we arrived at our next port of call, Mytilini, Lesvos around 8:30 a.m. This is another docked port and the captain again masterfully positioned us alongside. This is destined to be a short stop because we have a long way to go this afternoon and tonight. The town is the capital of the island and has a bustling harbor, with lots of cafes. It reminds me more of Athens and Kusadasi than the other islands.

IMG_2747 IMG_2744 IMG_2748 IMG_2745 IMG_2749 IMG_2750

The main sites are the Cathedral, and the Castle, along with the Greek Statue of Liberty. FT went on the hike to the castle with Amy and Daniel, and I elected to wander town. Town is very interesting, with a hodgepodge of shops, cafes, ouzoerias, and commercial establishments. In fact right as you come of the ship is a shop that bottles ouzo. I stopped in and the proprietor showed me around. Of course I had to buy a bottle (really it is an aluminum bottle) to bring home.

IMG_2774 IMG_2777

I also found a wonderful coffee shop/restaurant with high ceilings, hardwood floors and columns, and luxurious looking furniture. I then wander the back streets passing two fish markets selling fresh catch, a farmers market and a wonderful bakery. I had to stop in and buy some Koulorikia (Greek butter cookies). Walking in this town can be like walking in a large city. There are motor scooters everywhere, and they have no respect for pedestrians.

IMG_2783 IMG_2795 IMG_2792 IMG_2806 IMG_2808 IMG_2811 IMG_2847 IMG_2802 IMG_2857

The Cathedral is one of the most beautiful that I saw in all the islands.

IMG_2823 IMG_2834 IMG_2826

I then made my way back to the ship and met FT for lunch. While I waited on FT I watched a local man pasting printed icons onto large board, and I watched the chef and his gang replenishing the ship. Today sail away was at 12:30, just as lunch was being served. We have a long way to go to Istanbul.

IMG_2770

We picked up the pilot around 5:00 p.m. and headed through the Dardanelles, an area that is important to me as this is where my paternal grandparents were born and grew up. I had my camera out and snapped pictures for what seemed like hours. Finally around 9:15, just after dark, and as we enjoyed dinner we sailed by our village, Maydos, now known as Ecebat. This is the main gateway to the major WWI battlefield of Gallipoli. I have read descriptions and recognized the round castle in front of the town. I took some pictures but due to the dark and the distance they are not too clear.

IMG_2963 IMG_2989 IMG_2980

We had a wonderful location tonight aft on deck 5 with our friend Francisco. Tonight was the Chef’s Degustation menu. It included:

L’Oeuf Poule au caviar “Surprise”
Seared Yellow Fin Tuna Loin with Grilled Scallop
Veloute of Pumpkin
Peach Champagne Sorbet
Pan Fried Sea Bass
Or
Three Ways of Lamb
Morbier Cheese on Dried Fruit and Nut Bread
Light Earl Grey Soufflé
Homemade Petits-Four and Chocolate Truffles

I am not a fan of caviar so Jamie substituted the Vegetarian alternative for me, Artichoke with Guacamole. Delicious!

After dinner we headed back to the cabin as both FT and myself had to work. It was sad in a way to see everyone’s luggage in the hall, but it was good to realize that ours would not be joining it tonight. After dinner tonight because most of the guests had to pack to debark tomorrow there were no special activities. Our gift from Sea Dream tonight was postcards. Today and this evening we enjoyed another wonderfully smooth sail to our next port of call Istanbul, Turkey, a distance of 245 nautical miles.

More pictures are available on my flickr page by clicking HERE

The author of this blog is not compensated by Sea Dream Yacht Club in any manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment